Standard Cross-Cultural Sample Free Distribution Site (UC Irvine): Comparative Research, World Cultural Comparison, Courses and Workshops
-- see: This is the new Dow-Eff DEf and Complex Social Science (CoSSci) analytical system for Cross-Cultural Research
wiki - CoSSci Gateway for Cross-Cultural Research
All below this is OBSOLETE
Latest versions of this course, which is also available for classes at other universities, is available at
Short Course on Research using Spss with the Standard Cross-Cultural Sample (SCCS)
Doug White's World Cultures class site
The Textbook under development for this course is obsolete and will be replaced by one using R. The former textbook is:
Doug White, Andrey Korotayev and
Daria Khaltourina, was under negotiation with publishers
See also: Doug White's Culture and Evolution course
SCCS DATA, COURSES, COURSE SOFTWARE, and SCCS materials at UCI, other Universities, and Wikipedia :
- Right click to download free SCCS database SCCSvar1-2008Map.sav for World Cultures Spss file
with PCA factor additions and polygyny codes by DRW, and mapping options by Andrej Korotayev.
Factor Scores added for Modernization, Male Aggression, Female Power Fraternal Interest Groups, Internal War, External War - March 20, 2007 D. White
- Right click
to download free SCCS database sccsfac.Rdata for World Cultures R file. THIS IS A NEW "R" VERSION WITH "FACTORS"
i.e., "R" category labels for crosstabs and codebook.
Or copy link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9256203/sccsfac.Rdata to your browser to download. Click here
for the Spss codebook and its indices.
These are the new software codes. Thanks to Anthon Eff and Malcolm Dow (2009) they impute missing data and control for autocorrelation.
See intersciwiki for R code for models, and for software use White, Ren Feng, Gosti, Oztan, 2011.
R Software for Regression with
Inferential Statistics (2sls-is) http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/pdf/2sLS-isReOrg6aShort4.pdf
two_stage_ols.R Main program.
run_model_100.R 100% sample analysis. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37813961/run_model_100.R
run_model_79.R Random sample train, remaining sample test. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37813961/run_model_79.R
- Right click to download free SCCS database sccs.RData for
World Cultures R file with open source
R code inside the file with the data. Instructions provided at
Using R for Cross-Cultural Research
James W. Dow, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Oakland University, Rochester, MI 48309; firstname.lastname@example.org. Published in
2003 World Cultures 14(2):144-154.
- Right click to download test file in *.dta Stata SE format for R.
SCCS50.sav codes added - March 20, 2007 (v1086-1112) D. White and M. Burton (PIs)
- Michael Fischer's SCCS EthnoAtlas (U. Kent, Canterbury) gives you some practice
evaluating cross-tabs when you check [x] color and [x] expected values. Lots of AnthroMethods on the site as well.
- Standard Cross-Cultural Sample module Philip Silverman and Jacquelyn Messinger
- SCCS - Silverman and Messinger
- SSRIC - SCCS - Silverman and Messinger
- William Divale Tattooing and Techniques of Cross-Cultural Research
- Wikipedia: SCCS
- Wiki map: SCCS Africa
- Wiki map: SCCS Circum-Mediterranean
- Wiki map: SCCS East Eurasia
- Wiki map: SCCS Insular Pacific
- Wiki map: SCCS North America
- Wiki map: SCCS South America
Related Materials at other Universities: